Day 0

I walked the Camino de Santiago in October of 2019, my mind full of elaborate future travel plans, that ultimately were derailed by Covid.  Finally, in early March 2023 I'm headed to one of my dream cities: Athens. The birthplace of the western world, of western Philosophy, art, sports, mythology, democracy.  Its impossible to overstate the influence of ancient Athens on our modern world.  While Rome and Paris still loom large in my mind, and plans to walk Hadrian's wall in Scotland remain firmly on my to-do list, it had to be Athens next.  

This will be a short trip, and therefore a short blog.  I found an absurdly cheap package deal to Athens, but the rub is that it's not the best times.  I land March 3rd at around 3pm after a connection in Belgrade Serbia.  I'm leaving March 7th at 5am, where I'll stop in NYC for a few more days before returning home to Austin.  

Il try to blog every day, with pictures and a recap and my thoughts.  A trip to Delphi on Sunday remains my only set plan, with sights like the Acropolis and it's museum, the National archeology museum, the ancient agora and the Roman forum all circled in my guidebook.  

From Gyros, Olives and Greek Coffee, to the ancient oracle of Apollo at Delphi, I can't wait to experience Greece.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3: last day in Athens

Day 2: Delphi the bellybutton of the world